Friday, June 11, 2010

turtledom

Sometimes I wish I were a turtle.  I mean, I already behave like one half the time, so it would be mightily fitting for me to grow a shell to hide in.

Sometimes I wonder if this would not always be a bad thing.  I've been told that we shouldn't avoid our problems and hide away, but what if we need time to think things through or find a different perspective?

The balance between revealing too much and too little is so delicate, and I wonder if anyone is any good at it.  Even in the closest relationships it is possible to divulge too much, and even in the most distant relationships it is possible to divulge too little.

And once you've shared, what then?  What if you're waiting and waiting for someone to judge you based on the parts of the soul you've bared--parts that are sore and festering?  What if you know nothing about the people whose judgement you await?

Sometimes I wonder why God created us to be relational beings.  I believe that arguments and pain have a purpose, but I wish it just didn't have to be quite so trying, sometimes.

No comments: