Tuesday, June 8, 2010

branching out

I'll be the first to admit that my involvement in communities has been limited to a select few that I chose based on their relationship to my interests.  I love God, so I spend most of my time in Christian communities and even work with the people in those communities.  I love music, and thus have spent far too much time around musicians.  I'd venture to say that most people live this way as it is natural for us to be attracted to folks who are similar in one way or another.  Well, my new job has certainly been an adventure in a new kind of community.

Through a friend at church, I got a job selling cheese at farmers' markets with lots of other folks from church--not promising, I know.  However, most of the folks from church actually work with my company's twin brother company and I don't see them much.  The company that I work for has been rather educational for me in my favorite kind of way--by testing what I think I know and what I think my opinions are.  I used to be really REALLY bad in those situations; instead of stating what I actually think about one thing or another or sharing my true interests, I tended to morph myself to seem to be more like whoever I happened to be talking to.  But not anymore!

There aren't a lot of stories so far since I've only done four markets at this point, but I can say that I've met freelance journalists, wrestling coaches, English teachers, single middle-aged atheist liberals, low-income folks, people living in housing projects, people who hate bleu cheese and those who love all cheese, and tons of people who have surprised me all day long.  I'm constantly out of my comfort zone.  I've never worked on commission, sold cheese, tasted such fine cheeses as I now sell, been the lone white girl on the south side, driven a GIANT van, or talked with so many interesting people.

Life is easier when we let ourselves be comfortable in our communities, of which I am entirely guilty. However, life would be far more interesting and we'd be better people if we branched out a bit.  I'll try to be better from now on--pray for me!

No comments: