Thursday, June 17, 2010

community status update: Reba

My interview was two days ago, so it's still a bit difficult for me to accurately assess the situation, but I'll try to highlight the important points now.

1. All of the apprentices are going to be in Roger's Park this year.  This means several things: the life of the church there is far more intimately tied to the community than is the case in Evanston, the ministry is vastly different, and I was not expecting this at all.  In the past, interns were only in Evanston, then later started being distributed between Evanston and Roger's Park.
2. The reasons that I wanted to be a part of their community and the reasons they think that interns want to be part of their community are quite different, so it makes sense that more apprentices would be interested in Roger's Park than Evanston.  I, however, am not one of those interns.
3. I will not be doing the apprenticeship, so I need to find housing and a job outside of it, and I have to tell them.  It's probably going to be a little awkward, but it must be done.  My instinct is to simply run away from the situation, but that's not mature or helpful and I'll just be kicking myself later.  I need to take care of this.
4. I'm leaving for Alaska in twelve days and thus have very little time to find a place and figure things out if I want somewhere to live in August.  If I wait to find something available for September, then I'd have a bit more time.
5. This whole thing is rather disappointing, so I'll stop writing about it now before I really start whining!  Everything is going to be okay, and I trust that God has some sort of plan in mind that prevents me from being able to go to Reba in this way.

Please pray for me.

No comments: