Monday, June 14, 2010

bridal shower

I have a tendency to avoid potentially awkward situations, especially situations where I don't really know everyone.  I'm working on that, so in the spirit of branching out and NOT becoming my mother, I decided to go to the bridal shower that the women of All Saints' had yesterday for our beloved Claire.

I'm so glad I went.  I had the wonderful opportunity to hang out with a bunch of women from the church whom I have not yet gotten to know, and I think I made a few friends.  In addition, I was able to reconnect with some gals that I hadn't talked to in awhile, and I feel more a part of the church now than I have before.

The best part happened when I was leaving.  I was saying good-bye to Grace, one of our beloved elder women, and telling her how lovely it was to have sat next to her at the table.  She and I joked for awhile after that, and then she turned to me and said, "You know, Heather, I'm really glad you're a catechumen."
"Thanks!  Me, too."
Then she said, "It's like we're gettin' a new sister or something."
I replied, "That's exactly how I feel!  It's like I get to be part of this big family."
"Well, that's definitely how the Orthodox feel."

It was just so comforting.  I've expressed to several parishioners my terror at having decided to become a catechumen, and they've reassured me that that is quite normal and won't go away for a few years at least.  But Grace telling me all of that gave me such a peace about it, and now there is no question in my mind that this is where I need to be.  Now I have tons of new aunts, cousins, sisters, and brothers and uncles, too.  What a beautiful thing.

No comments: